It’s never easy keeping an eight-year-old entertained for several hours. At this age, they’ll begin socializing and paying more attention to their friends while being concerned with being liked and accepted by peers. Therefore, the choice in the things they play with is more important now than ever. 1
The possibilities are endless, making choosing the right toy a daunting task. To help make the selection process easier, we’ve created a list of the best toys that are suitable for 8-year-old girls as well as boys. We’ve included toys to suit a variety of interests, including options that can aid in overall growth and development.
1. Child development (Middle Childhood). CDC. cdc.gov
1. Nintendo New 3DS XL Console- Galaxy Style
A Nintendo DS is a great way to introduce your child to gaming without the higher price tag associated with a Nintendo Switch. This portable gaming device has dual-screens with one offering 3D gaming. Setup is straightforward, so your 8-year-old can start playing right away. With so many different games available, developmental opportunities are endless!
- Can use 3D or 2D mode
- Has large game library
- The battery life could be improved
2. Crayola Color Chemistry Set
A great activity for a rainy day, Crayola Color Chemistry Set provides 50 science experiments for your 8-year-old to do at home. Kids can follow the instructions alone or with a friend to put together materials to complete an experiment. This set works on children’s logic skills to follow instructions and match the correct sources for each project.
- Wide variety of experiments
- Easy to set up
- No explanation of the experiment results
3. L.O.L. Surprise!Confetti Nail Art
For 8-year-olds who enjoy painting their nails with minimal mess, this set includes everything needed for sparkling nails. Using the polish base, children can paint their nails and add the included gemstones, tattoos and glitter to take their glam to the next level. While ensuring the perfect nail application, this in-turn works on fine motor skills.
- Nails look pretty once the glitter is applied
- Nice decorations
- Pouring the solution is tricky
4. Disney Descendants Audrey Fashion Doll
Audrey is one of the latest dolls from Disney’s Descendents 3. She comes with accessories that fans see her using in the show. Your 8-year-old can reenact moments from the show with Audrey right out of the box. Add her shoes, necklace, tiara, and outfit and she’s ready to go. Playing with dolls also encourages imaginative play!
- Comes with skirt and trousers
- High quality
- The accessories are fragile
5. Barbie Camping Fun On the Go Water Craft
Whether your 8-year-old is in the bath or outside in a paddling pool, they can take their Barbie for a ride in this vibrant boat, made with Barbie fans in mind! The boat is ready to go, right out of the box so your child can jump right in and place Barbie in the boat for a water-based adventure. This boat can promote imaginative play, and best of all, it makes bathtime more appealing!
- No assembly required
- No moving parts to possibly break
- Could float better in water
6. LEGO Minecraft The Chicken Coop
Kids can build their very own Minecraft chicken farm from LEGO, with chickens that deliver Minecraft eggs once it’s built! Your 8-year-old can build this with friends or alone using the included instructions, creating a greenhouse to house the chicken eggs along with a furnace, a chicken pen, and water. The set encourages creativity and is also fully compatible with other LEGO Minecraft sets.
- It's fun to put together
- The chicken poops eggs!
- The set doesn’t include any monsters
7. $35 Nintendo eShop Gift Card [Digital Code]
A Nintendo eStore gift card is perfect for those times when you just don’t know what to get an 8-year-old. As long as they have a Nintendo device such as a Switch, 3DS or 2DS, kids can use this voucher as credit towards a game or app of their choice. With Nintendo’s online subscription service, this voucher could be enough for an entire year of Nintendo services.
- Great as birthday filler gifts
- Wide variety of designs available
- The code delivery is not always instant
8. Chubby Puppies & Friends - Vacation Camper Playset
This Vacation Camper Playset transforms from mobile RV to camping playset — complete with a swinging hammock and puppy-powered kitchen. With this set, kids will have a full-sized Jack Russell Terrier Chubby Puppy and a small baby puppy to care for. The transforming camper is ideal for use at home as well as taking over to a friend’s. This set works on imagination and pretend play, and includes all the accessories needed for a mini-pet camping trip!
- Made from durable plastic
- The puppy includes batteries
- Could use a few extra accessories
9. Super Deluxe Essential Handbook (Pokémon)
Whether your 8-year-old is well-versed with Pokémon or just getting started, this extensive book contains stats and facts for over 800 species of Pokémon. Kids will learn about the different creatures from the various Pokémon regions in an easy-to-follow book with vibrant illustrations from cover to cover. Learning all the different Pokémon is a great way to challenge your child’s memory.
- Every Pokemon provides an evolution underneath it
- Listed alphabetically
- Some pages only provide small amounts of Pokemon information
10. Razor A Kick Scooter
For outdoor enthusiasts or kids looking to get more time away from the TV, this scooter from Razor is the perfect addition for any 8-year-old. It comes ready-built, so kids can speed off as soon as they receive it. Balance and coordination skills can be improved as a result of using a scooter.
- Withstands bumps and scrapes
- Snaps together with spring-loaded clips
- The handlebar grips could be hardier
11. Littlest Pet Shop Pet Partment Play Set
For kids just getting into the Littlest Petshop, this set is the perfect introduction. It includes two pets and two accessories with a carrying handle to take on-the-go. Your 8-year-old can play with the set right out of the box. There are lots of ways they can add to their collection to turn this into a busy pet shop. The set encourages the use of imagination. They’ll be running their own pet shop in no time!
- Well-made and sturdy
- Plenty of space for extra pets
- The set looks bigger in the pictures
12. GirlZone: Make Your Own Lip Balm Fun Makeup Set
If you’re in search of something for your 8-year-old to enjoy on a rainy day, this set is ideal. They can make their very own lip balms from scratch, knowing that the end result is something they created on their own. Creating the lip balms work on reasoning skills to determine the best scents and colors to use, and also works on fine motor skills.
- Can choose colors and scents
- Includes lots of decorations
- The lip balms don’t harden very well
13. Polly Pocket Tiny Pocket World, Polly & Dolphin
Whether your 8-year-old already has lots of Polly pockets, or this is their first set, each compact opens to reveal a fun location for Polly Pocket’s next adventure. There are a variety of surprises for kids to reveal in this micro-set, including secrets in each compact, a hidden accessory, a micro-figure and much more. Each set is different, so they’ll never know which pieces they’ll get!
- Polly Pockets magnetize to the surface
- Small and portable
- The door hinge is a little flimsy
14. PLAYMOBIL Fairy Garden Play Box
This set from Playmobil includes one adult fairy, one child fairy, unicorn, wand, leaf chair, flower tables, lutes, and lots of other accessories to keep your 8-year-old entertained. Kids can bend the figurines and turn their heads to their desired position. This set is fun for those playing solo or combine with another Playmobil set and play with a friend. The set encourages children to explore and learn while having fun.
- Well-built and includes lots of fun pieces
- Includes carrying case
- Difficult to assemble
15. FunzBo Fuse Beads Craft Kit
This set from FunzBo provides hours of arts and crafts fun with melt fuse pop beads. Each set contains 5500 beads with 21 different color variations to choose from. Kids can simply create their desired design on their own, or follow the free design template that comes with the fuse bead set, then iron them to produce the finished result. Creativity and imagination are promoted as a result of this set.
- Easy to use with great end results
- Many design possibilities
- The templates could be made from thicker paper
16. smART sketcher Projector
This sketcher projector is great for kids who love to draw. It includes an SD card with 50 activity samples, 20 sheets of framed paper and 4 coloring pencils to get your child started. Step-by-step instructions guide small hands through the entire process, putting the fun of drawing, tracing, and writing into the hands of your 8-year-old using a unique app for Android or iOS.
- Easy to use without adult help
- Lets you take pictures
- Sub-par picture clarity
17. Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100 Electronics Exploration Kit
This set from Snap Circuits is an ideal way to introduce children to electronic circuit building. Just 30 pieces allows kids to design over 100 different circuit combinations. Using the included instructions, kids snap together the color-coded circuit pieces to create a working electronic circuit. The set is hugely educational and challenges young children with an engineering mindset.
- Challenging pieces
- Sounds like a retro video game when built
- Each piece could have been labeled for easier direction
18. ThinkFun Gravity Maze Marble Run
The ThinkFun Gravity Maze Marble Run is highly customizable, allowing your 8-year-old to build marble run structures beyond the designs provided with the set. The aim is to create a marble run maze that will carry the ball from point A to the endpoint of the tower. The set works on visual perception as well as basic reasoning skills, and best of all it can be played solo or with others.
- Challenges engineering skills
- Fun to play alone or together
- Pieces often pop out, forcing a rebuild
19. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Volcano Science Kit
Encouraging children to turn what they’ve learned at school into something practical is exactly what this kit does, with the end result being a fully-functioning volcano. Using the included materials, kids can mold the volcano and paint it before watching it erupt like a real volcano. This kit is educational, working on their science skills as well as their fine motor skills during the building and painting elements of the design.
- Fantastic for homeschool science experiments
- Simple and inexpensive activity
- The volcano is smaller than expected
20. Ticket to Ride: New York
Ticket to Ride: New York is a great way to introduce your child to the world of board games. Kids can learn the game in 3 minutes and finish it within 10-15 minutes. Instead of trains, players use the iconic NYC taxi cabs as game pieces to navigate around the board, complete the routes and fulfill destination tickets to become the winner.
- Simplified version of original game
- Easy to set up
- Games are over a little too fast
21. Sony Dynamic Foldable Headphones
Whether your 8-year-old wants to listen to music or transfer the sound from their tablet, these entry-level headphones from Sony do the job. They plug in via an AUX cable to your chosen device. Unfold them, slip them on and hit play! Your child can listen to their favorite songs or TV shows to a safe and controllable volume level.
- Very comfortable to wear
- Look great and fold up easily
- The sound quality could be better
Summary: Buying Toys for 8-Year-Old-Girls
Picking up the perfect toy for your 8-year-old is trickier than you might have realized, especially when the aim is to find a toy that keeps with the latest trends while keeping their minds active. Our list has been hand-selected using recommendations on parenting forums from parents who have found toys that are suitable for a specific age range.